*Super* Soothing Sunday: Reminiscing

Happy Super Bowl Sunday, dear readers! How has your weekend been? I have a pretty big day tomorrow, so I don't think I will be posting a Motivation Monday. If you're a praying type, I'd appreciate some prayers!

Delicious latte yesterday from a local coffee shop

Some Super Bowl Memories

Growing up, every year on Super Bowl Sunday, my dad would make homemade pizza. He would get up early and begin cooking tomato sauce. He would mix and knead multiple balls of pizza dough from scratch. He would dice peppers and onions, he cooked Italian sausage, he mixed his own blend of cheeses: mozzarella, Italian, Parmesan. By the time the game started, he would have a couple pizzas in the oven, and he'd prepare to make more. 

We had leftover sauce for weeks. He would engineer dishes to use up the leftover toppings, sauce, and cheese. Sometimes it was an omelet, sometimes lasagna, and sometimes just more pizza. I remember one year when I was a child, our hometown NFL team even won the Super Bowl! 

Super Bowl Pizza is the tradition I remember for the first eighteen years of my life.

When I went to college, it kind of dropped off my radar. Most of my friends did not have television, and I think even caring about sports was sort of uncool

But when I went to graduate school, one of my best friends treated Super Bowl Sunday as her favorite holiday of the year. She treated it like an Olympics of snacks: she made spinach and artichoke tip, 7 layer dip, mini corndogs, meatballs, a range of spicy salsas. It was absolutely great.

But since I graduated from graduate school, and went out into the real world, I have again kind of forgotten about the Super Bowl. I still try to tune in... at least for some funny commercials. I'd be overjoyed to have a very basic, pepperoni Domino's pizza and some cheesy bread today. But my husband and I are trying to be healthier: we won't have themed snacks today.

Favorite Snacks

So although I won't be enjoying fun snacks this Super Bowl, what are your favorites? For me, I think

  • spinach artichoke dip
  • 7-layer dip
  • meatballs in a barbecue sauce
  • buffalo wings
  • spanikopita
  • pizza, of course
  • fried ravioli or fried mozzarella 

are the strongest contenders for best football-watching snacks. What have I forgotten from the list?

Today's Delights:

  • I took a long Target shopping trip today: got some new light bulbs, some new facial moisturizer (Weleda skin food--I'll tell you what I think!), and two professional jackets. I love Target: I'm absolutely a basic gal!
  • We received some delicious See's candies for Valentine's Day! I've had two so far, and am very excited to enjoy more!
  • Yesterday's SNL with Dan Levy was so funny! I think he's such a funny creator, and I absolutely loved Schitt's Creek. I'm excited to see what he does next.
Find something to delight in! Love, A.

Comments

  1. Praying for you and voting for dad’s homemade pizza... and artichoke dip! Big hugs to Miss “A for Amazing!”

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts