Chicken Congee, a Comfort Food

Last night, I made chicken congee in the Instant Pot from America's Test Kitchen's Instant Pot cookbook.

Chicken congee is a rice porridge that you cook until the rice and the chicken are falling apart. It's extremely easy: and then you top it with whatever you like. 

To an Instant Pot, I added 8 cups of water, 4 t. of better than Bouillon, 1.5 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, 1 inch of fresh ginger sliced, and 1 cup of rinsed jasmine rice. Add salt and pepper. Add the cover, and cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. Then, let the steam release naturally for about 10 minutes (important!) and then let the remaining steam release quickly. Remove the lid, and using tongs, stir the congee and break apart any large remaining pieces of chicken--it should fall apart easily.

Toppings: sliced scallions, sriracha, sambal oelek, shredded carrot, peanuts, soy sauce, pickled red onions*

*To make pickled red onions, thinly slice 1/4 of a red onion and put in a bowl with about 1/4 cup rice vinegar. Let sit for about 15 minutes, tossing occasionally. Ta-da! Quick pickled red onions.

Today's Delights:

  • Yesterday, I got some very welcome news about my job! I was also pretty productive all day, which was needed.
  • After setting the intention for the day yesterday, I did eat my meals as planned, eat my snack as planned, got my Noom-goal steps in, and did the 20-min HIIT class with Jess King.
  • Last night, I also did a 10 minute meditation! Which I hadn't done in weeks, probably. That was a great thing.
  • My current book is pretty fun: it seems like it'll be about a lot of glamour and intrigue, so it should be fun.
Find something to delight in today --A

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts