Pandemic: One Year In

It has been about a year since I started feeling generally aware of this COVID-19 thing happening in Italy, China, and Washington state. Because I live in the Midwest, we did not have to immediately shut down. It took until about mid-March 2020 before my community was sincerely affected by the pandemic. But I thought I could write a post about some lessons learned, benefits gained, and the things that I miss the absolute most.

A little picnic we enjoyed back when it was warmer!

What I Miss Most:

The first thing I miss is the ability to be close to people I love. I miss being able to hop in a car or hop on a plane to see family. I miss--once with my family--being able to hug them without any vague feeling of guilt.

I miss travel! I was not a frequent international traveler, but my husband and I would travel around the United States every couple of months. I miss being able to go somewhere warm when it's really cold where I live!

I miss restaurants and bars! Sunday brunch in a restaurant after mass is one of my favorite things! And it has been so long since I've been able to do that! And on a Saturday evening, I wish my husband and I could just pop into a dark paneled bar to enjoy a couple cocktails.

Lessons Learned:

Although I am extremely privileged to have not lost my job during the pandemic, I did learn how little my identity is wrapped up with my career. I had colleagues in my office who were laid off early in the pandemic. Employers can be fickle. So from now on, I hope I can maintain a healthy distance from wrapping my identity up with my career.

I realized just how important it is to have a home you love. When you cannot socialize, it's very important to live in a home that you love. I have never valued organized cabinets, a comfortable sofa, or a well-arranged living room more. Also, it is important to love the community in which you live. When the world shut down, I was more acutely aware of any strengths or weaknesses in the public health institutions where I live. I also became more aware of the beautiful and well-tended parks and walking trails in our community.

What I Hope I Keep Even After the Pandemic

I am very excited for life to return to normal, but there are some things that I have benefited from in the world shutting down. One is a greater ability to cook for myself. Cooking at home has given me more healthy foods, and the opportunity to save a lot of money!

I hope that teleworking remains common. I think it has allowed some more balance for certain working people. It can also split your living community from your career which may allow people to find the right community and the right career rather than being forced into one based on the other.

Enjoying affordable, healthy activities. I enjoy taking long walks, doing needlepoint, making an event of watching a movie at home. 

Today's Delights:

  • I enjoyed watching the Super Bowl. I would have enjoyed seeing the Chiefs win, but some of the commercials were amusing!
  • Last night, I made a chicken and orzo soup in the Instant Pot that ended up delicious.
  • I had a productive work call yesterday, and I am hopeful that it may turn into a good opportunity. Stay tuned.
P.S. I'll be honest, the past two or three weeks have honestly been a real struggle for me. I am very happy in my personal life, but something about the general atmosphere surrounding my work has been really tough. Is anyone experiencing something similar?

Try to find one small thing to delight in, even if things are tough! -A

Comments

Popular Posts