Favorite Weekday Breakfasts (and Galentine's Day)

Happy Galentine's Day! Who knew that Parks & Rec would invent the sweetest, most long-lasting concept for a holiday to celebrate your female friends? I do wonder if Amy Poehler guessed that the idea would stick around. This year, obviously, I'm not able to see my favorite friends, but I'm definitely going to be sending a lot of check-in messages to them throughout the day. And next year, I want to definitely see all those girls!

Picture via Cosmopolitan.

Quick Breakfast Go-To's

I have started feeling like I'm in a slight breakfast rut. I am a consistent breakfast eater! But I tend to eat the saaaame thing over-and-over again. Sometimes that's great! But I'd love to mix it up a little bit more. So today, I'll share some of my go-to's and in the comments, maybe you can share yours so we could all incorporate a little variety!

Breakfast taco/burrito: I scramble two eggs with just about two tablespoons of Mexican blend shredded cheese. Cook that up in a skillet. Then remove it to a plate and toast one tortilla until it gets a little color and is nice and warm. Add the eggs into the burrito and drizzle hot sauce on top. Good blend of carbs and protein, and it keeps me full until lunch. To make it fancier, add some cooked bacon or sausage. Add some fresh cilantro. Add some tomatoes, jalapeno, and onion to the egg while you cook it up.

Oatmeal: I am a big fan of Quaker old-fashioned rolled oats. I scoop about 1/2 cup uncooked oats into a pan, cover with about 3/4 cup of water and boil for about 90 seconds. Then I'll mix in ground cinnamon, berries (if I have them), a banana (if I have it), nutmeg and/or cardamom. Oatmeal--to me--is great for thinning out your belly, and it also has a lot of fiber to keep you full for a long time.

Egg on toast: This is literally a fried egg on a piece of toast. Not original. Sometimes I'll smush some avocado onto the toast first, add red pepper flakes, and then top with a fried egg. That makes it feel a little fancier. And then I'll shake the tiniest pinch of turmeric on top too. 

Bacon (turkey or pork) and eggs: If I want to limit carbs, I do love a super-keto breakfast of just bacon and eggs. Bacon *must be cooked* in the oven at 375 degrees for about 13 minutes. It's absolutely worth turning on the oven, even if you're cooking two slices.

A parfait situation: I love the combination of Greek yogurt, crunch, and fruit. This can be achieved a few different ways. The easiest is yogurt, a crunched up Nature Valley granola bar, and a peeled Cutie clementine. You could do yogurt, nuts, and fresh/frozen berries. You could do yogurt, crunchy peanut butter, and a banana.

Your turn! What are your breakfast go-to's? Share in the comments, and maybe we can all introduce a little variety.

Today's Delights:

  • Last night, my husband and I watched Up In The Air and ordered Domino's. I haven't had a Domino's/Papa John's/Pizza Hut pizza in probably five months. We both agreed: it totally hit the spot.
  • We ordered more coffee from our absolute favorite coffee roaster, and yum, I am enjoying my cup of coffee this morning!
  • Last night, my best friend and I did a Zoom yoga class through a studio in Oregon: neither one of us lives in Oregon :) It was pretty neat to join into something from so far away. Also, the class was a donation-based class to raise money for therapy for underserved populations. Pretty nice cause! Also, my hip flexors are soooooo loose today, it's glorious.
Share something delightful with a gal today for Galentine's Day! -A

Comments

Popular Posts