My Tips for How to Read More

One of my goals for 2021 is to read approximately 35 books. This would be more than I read in 2020 (and in previous years, I hadn't kept track, but I'd guess I'd read much less). I wanted to put together a post about how to read more, because over the course of 2020, I got pretty good at reading a lot.

Gorgeous sunset over our cornfield neighbor

But this has been written about nineteen different ways and I probably won't have anything new to add:

Okay, you get the point. So, there's plenty of advice out there for if you would like to try to fit more reading in. I'll just say that as a person with a full-time job, with a personal life, and who does not get advance copies of any books, these are the main ways I have managed to read more books:

Be proactive with my TBR (to-be-read) pile. Whenever I hear a book referenced or praised on a podcast, I check the Libby app (through my local library) to see if it's available. If a friend mentions a book they enjoyed, I'll add it to my hold list too. If I have too many things to read already, I'll just save the search for later. I will always a handful of books in my list of books that I want to read. This helps avoid any lagtime between books and definitely helps me increase the total number of books that I read.

Have a few going at a time. I have no problem reading more than one book at a time; some people would totally disagree though. So if you hate having more than one book going at a time, this tip isn't for you. But I will usually have a hard-copy book that I read in my home, an e-book that I read on my phone if I'm waiting in line, and an audiobook that I will turn on when I drive in my car or take walks. This helps me read in lots of different locations so that I can get through more books quickly. Some people try to listen to only nonfiction if they have an audiobook, but I do not really have a preference. I definitely have an overall preference for reading a hard-copy book, but when the libraries closed for the pandemic, I got very used to the e-books that I could borrow through the online library.

Speaking of the library, I definitely use library! I cannot remember the last time I bought a book for myself that wasn't a cookbook (i.e., something I'd use multiple times for years). I will sometimes receive books as gifts, and friends will sometimes lend me books, but I hardly ever actually buy books. Instead, I would have a long list of books to be borrowed from the library when it was open. And now, I always have a long list of e-books to be borrowed via the library's app Libby. Your local library is one of the best resources at your disposal: you should definitely make use of it.

I don't read books I don't like; I do read books I do like. I know several people who oppose the idea of quitting a book. And I know several people who think reading trashy books is terrible. Maybe it is a good exercise to give yourself a few chapters of a book before giving up on it, but if you don't like a book, you do not have to read it. And even if everyone says The Great Gatsby is a brilliant book, if you don't like it, don't read it. And the flip side is that even if people say fantasy books are juvenile or romance books are dumb, if you like them, read them! We all have guilty pleasures: reading a thriller is probably a better exercise for your mind than just watching Real Housewives. I do think that in general, reading more is better than reading less: so if it's easier for you to commit to reading a lot if your TBR pile is full of books about dancers and serial killers, get after it.

Engage with others about the books that I have read. I used to be in the most wonderful book club in the city where I previously lived. I absolutely loved chatting about the books we would read. I think being able to chat with friends about the books that I read is another motivating factor in reading more books. I love taking recommendations from friends and family, giving recommendations to friends and family, and listening to podcasts about books I enjoyed.

So those are some of the ways that I have significantly increased the number of books that I get through. How about you? Do you want to read more? Do you have any tips or tricks?

Today's Delights:

  • Yesterday, I made a tuna jalepeno casserole from Cravings by Chrissy Teigen. It was the most Midwestern thing I've ever cooked: So cheesy and good.
  • I have been receiving more good news about people I know personally getting doses of the vaccine which is very comforting.
  • May God bless this new president and give him wisdom and compassion.
Find something to delight in -A

Comments

Popular Posts