Delicious Coconut Rice with Shrimp and Zucchini

Last night I cooked dinner from Keeping it Simple by Yasmin Fahr. Her dish was called coconut rice with prawns and courchettes. I read through the recipe to see how intimidating it was, and was pleased to see that prawns = shrimp and courchettes = zucchini. Easy! Even easier: I used frozen, fully cooked shrimp.

Chop up two zucchinis: no need to peel or remove seeds. Saute them in a dutch oven for about six minutes--hopefully getting a little char. Add in the shrimp (mine were fully cooked, so I just tossed them in to warm them through). Add 1/2 a diced jalapeno and the whites of three scallions. Add one teaspoon of soy sauce.

Toss everything for about one minute unless you need to get the shrimp fully cooked.

Remove everything to a small bowl and set aside.

To the same pot, add coconut milk, water, and rice. Let simmer, stirring occasionally so it doesn't stick to the bottom. Depending on the type of rice (I used basmati), it'll take a longer or shorter time to cook. Once fully cooked and most liquid absorbed, add in 2 teaspoons of soy sauce, the juice of two limes, and 1 teaspoon of fish sauce. Stir together. Add the shrimp and zucchinis back into the pot; stir everything together. 

Meanwhile, dice the remaining half jalapeno, chop the greens of the scallions, and chop a bunch of cilantro. Leave on the cutting board to garnish your dish at the end. Lime wedges would be tasty too.

Serve up with the garnishes on top! It was an insanely delicious meal--filling but still light!

Ingredients:

  • One bag frozen, fully cooked shrimp. Make sure to defrost, peel, and devein before adding to the dish.
  • 2 zucchini's chopped into about 1/2 inch cubes
  • 1 jalapeno, diced (some for garnish)
  • 3 scallions, chopped (some for garnish)
  • 3 total teaspoons of soy sauce
  • 1 can coconut milk
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup rice
  • juice of two limes
  • 1 teaspoon fish sauce
  • cilantro (only garnish)

A few other things

Word of the year: fearless. I am still working to cultivate this. But I think my daily meditation practice has sincerely helped. I sometimes feels a slight detachment from work-related stress, which has been an enormous and wonderful change.

I feel like I'm slightly more on-track, health-wise. The longer days help, because my mood is improved, giving me higher energy, and a bit more commitment to working towards goals. The picture above is from a recent walk I took. I was amazed by how blue the sky was and how bright the sun was, even in early January.

Today's Delights:

  • I've been pretty awed by the brand Sezane for some time. I've never purchased anything, but I love the elegant/approachable French aesthetic. Their new arrivals supply some amazing eye candy right now. 
  • Although I am not on tik-tok, and I feel too old to understand Instagram reels, I have been pretty amused by some impeachment joke reels like this one.
  • We watched two episodes from the first season of Million Dollar Listing last night, and it was so fun! I've never watched the show, and I am usually not big into reality TV, but the combination of a bit of blast-from-the-past and absurd fancy people made it pretty fun. It looks like most seasons are free on Peacock, so I feel like we have some good binge-watching ahead of us.
Delight in something, I know you can. Love, A

Comments

  1. Million Dollar Listing... yes, please! Winter: depression fighting foods like salmon, daily walking (even indoors), sun lamp!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts