The Tip-Top Things of 2020

2020 prompted me to avoid quite a bit of online shopping--both because the financial scare of the Spring made me want to save money more concertedly, and because I did not have an occasion to wear anything more than comfy clothes.

But I did think about and then purchase a few clothes and items this year that have been revolutionary:

Top Clothing Items of 2020:

The J. Crew Juliette Sweater (30% right now)

I bought this sweater in two colors when they were on a pretty deep discount. I have the heather khaki (shown above), and a lighter khaki closer to ivory that does not appear available anymore. I am obsessed with these sweaters. They're oversized without looking lazy. They cover the rear view so you can wear leggings. I've not had occasion to wear them with work dresses, but I tried them over a work dress (this is similar to one of my favorites from a year ago), and the long sweater looked wonderful with the dress. Hands down, best clothing item of the year.

Rothy's Pointed-Toe Flats

I did not buy these in 2020, but I wore them sooo many times that they merit a mention here. I've had my pair of black point Rothy's since maybe 2016? I'm not entirely sure but it's been years. They wear like iron, and you could barely tell they've aged at all; they've never ever been uncomfortable; they are machine washable. They are the best shoes I've ever ever owned. This doesn't mean they're the absolute most attractive shoes I've ever owned, but the combination of sturdiness, machine washability, and comfort makes them the best. And even though they aren't gorgeous, they're minimal, and I can absolutely wear them with work clothes, while grocery shopping, or walking into a yoga studio. I love them. I recommend them. You need them!

Top Household Items of 2020

All-Clad Nonstick Fry Pan Set

We received this set of pans as a gift for our wedding, and we use them at least five times per week. I would want to say we use them every day, but some days we don't cook! These are the first All-Clad pans we have owned, and I have to say that every bit of hype is earned. These are extremely well-made, they have a bit of weight to them so they don't move around on the stove too much, and the nonstick is perfectly effective. The next pans we purchase are absolutely going to be All-Clad: I'm a convert. Also, bonus, I believe they're made in the United States, so that tends to suggest much more fair labor standards for the workers than other more mass-produced brands.

Crate and Barrel Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons

There's nothing revolutionary about measuring spoons! But what's been amazing about this year is having two sets! We have one set of measuring spoons that my husband has owned for years, and we received a new set as a wedding gift. It is absolutely clutch to have two sets of measuring spoons! I had no idea what a convenience this would be. You use the tablespoon to measure oil, and when you need the tablespoon to measure sugar or cinnamon, you don't have to wash and dry the spoon before measuring the second ingredient. Maybe I'm just goofy, but having two sets is new for me and such a help. Also, this set from Crate and Barrel is lovely: good weight, wash perfectly without rusting or aging. Just perfect.

Top Health Items for 2020

Schwinn IC4 Indoor Spin Bike

Now, this is a big one. I have been considering a Peloton since 2016. Does that mean I've been considering a fairly expensive piece of exercise equipment and opting against it for four years?! Yes, yes it does. However, for four years, I have thought it seemed a ridiculous price for something. I also got a little prickly each time I realized that after plunking down all that money for the bike, you still have to pay for the Peloton subscription! So I've envied Peloton riders for years but just didn't bite the bullet.

This year though, especially once I wasn't able to go to the gym or take the classes I used to love, I gave the Peloton a lot more thought. Then! 

Then! 

A friend on Instagram posted about the Schwinn IC4. It's Bluetooth-enabled, so if you have Peloton on your cell phone or tablet, you can link your cadence (RPM) on the Schwinn with the Peloton app. You can also find a conversion chart for the resistance numbers between Peloton and Schwinn so as the instructor guides you through resistance changes, you know what you need to have on the Schwinn. One metric that Peloton has but that the Schwinn doesn't have is 'output' which is resistance and cadence (multiplied? added together? unsure). I've simply used the Peloton app on my iPhone, and it's been excellent. But if you had an iPad, the larger screen would likely be nicer. The Schwinn is approximately $1000 cheaper than the Peloton. And we purchased it from Scheel's (a brick-and-mortar sporting goods store): so we purchased it, loaded it into our car, and assembled it all in one day. Compare that with the estimated 6 week deliveries on the Peloton! Also, setup was VERY doable; it probably took us about an hour. It helped to have two pairs of hands for assembly, and if you need to move the bike up a flight of stairs to get it into your home, you absolutely need two people: it's HEAVY.

I've been extremely satisfied with the bike's quality. It's also silent while you ride, so other members of your household can listen to music or watch television even in the same room while you ride. I've been able to tune in for Peloton instructor led rides, which has been great. The classes are really motivating and challenging! So, I would recommend this solution to the Peloton quandary.

My favorite Peloton instructors so far: Cody Rigsby and Ali Love, tied for first. Leanne Hainsby a close second.

Neutrogena 70 SPF Spray Sunscreen

As I approach thirty, I've paid more attention to protecting my skin from the sun. This is a combination of vanity and wisdom. On the one hand, I just don't want wrinkles or sun spots, and I seem to be quite susceptible to discoloration from the sun! On the other hand, I have enough family history of problematic sun damage that it would be silly to not take care. So this year, I wanted to make it all a lot easier to slather on sunscreen. Enter: spray sunscreen! I don't know why pumping sunscreen onto my hands and massaging it all over my arms, face, body seems exhausting to me, but the spray makes it sooo much easier. This one will also spray upside down, so you can get your back without gravity interfering! Science! 

Today's Delights:

  • Last night, we tuned in for my cousin's Zoom wedding, it was so sweet to see her with her new husband--I absolutely love weddings;
  • because the wedding was in the middle of our usual dinner-cooking time, we got Chick-fil-a for dinner, which I always always love; 
  • my husband and I have been brainstorming dog names for the puppy we should get next year, and it makes it all seem more real(!); and
  • over lunch today, I baked some cardamom-coffee cookies which made our home smell amazing--I'll post some more details on the recipe tomorrow.

Delight in something to round out this year, A

Comments

Popular Posts